Picking a mattress is sort of like picking a partner – each person is unique. That’s why I get weary when a mattress claims to be perfect for everyone or a sleep reviewer says that this one mattress is the overall best pick.
Maybe I’m bitter because a few years ago, my husband and I bought one of those mattresses and have been stuck with it for years now – regularly dumping money into mattress toppers, pillows and bedding in an effort to make that one-size-fits-all mattress actually fit for us.
Where am I going with this? Well, we were recently back on the mattress market for our daughter’s new twin bed and I knew one thing for sure – I wasn’t buying the other mattress again.
So, I did a ton of research, getting increasingly annoyed by lots of marketing ploys and mattress reviews that didn’t actually say anything helpful at all.
Choosing the Helix Mattress:
Finally, I narrowed it down to the Helix Mattress, which doesn’t try to be a one-mattress-for-everyone mattress at all and even offers a sleep quiz to help navigate their multiple lines of mattress options.
Plus, when I ordered ours, they were running the same $200 off and free pillow promotion they are offering now for July 4th – so this seemed like a great time to share our honest experience with the mattress and how it’s worked out over the last 6 months or so.
Here’s the Helix Midnight we chose for our daughter’s bed in her full glory. I was actually surprised at how thick it was (maybe even a bit too thick for the bed design we chose for her, but I digress).
You definitely need deep pocketed sheets for this bad boy and these super soft, affordable ones from Target fit perfectly.
I get to lay on this mattress every night because my three-nager insists on having her back rubbed, but that’s given me plenty of chances to see how I feel about the Helix and now I’m going to share it all with you.
And, you should know that Helix has not paid for this review. I bought the mattress myself and I signed up for their affiliate program only after using the mattress for months and ensuring I really stood behind sharing it with you.
What I Love About Helix:
Don’t worry, I’ll tell you what I don’t like, too – but let’s stay positive, shall we?
Here are some of the key points that led us to picking the Helix and continue to be why we like it:
- Hybrid Design: After we switched from a spring mattress to an all memory foam for our bed, I hated how the mattress would sink on the sides when you sat on it and you felt like you had to gain momentum to roll out of it in the morning. I also hate that the mattress has no bounce. It feels weird. It’s not normal. So, I definitely knew I wanted a combination of springs and memory foam for this new mattress. Was I test running this mattress as a replacement for ours? Sure – I’ll cop to that.
- Warranty & Return: If you can’t stand behind your mattress for 10 years, I don’t want it. If you won’t take it back if I don’t like it, I’ll pass. Helix offers all of these things and more.
- Oeko-Tek Certified: Y’all know I’m trying to limit the toxins in our environment, especially now that I’ve been diagnosed with two autoimmune diseases. Helix is certified by the CertiPUR-US® program, which guarantees mattresses are made without any harmful chemicals including ozone depleters, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and have extremely low impact on indoor air quality. In fact, when we unboxed it, we left it in our closet for a few days so it would off-gas in there, away from the kid’s rooms, and there was actually little to no smell at all. You can also go for their organic line (which does cost a premium) and I almost did, but felt the CertiPUR was enough for us.
- Soft Top: I really don’t like the sinking feeling of memory foam or the feeling of a super firm mattress top. I do think kids should have mattresses slightly more firm because of their growing bodies, but every mattress should be soft on the top (I like mine with a nice thick pillow top, actually). The top layer of this mattress is super soft and a gentle press with the hand shows his quickly it adjusts to the pressure. Imagine that on your hips and joints and other pain points. YAS.
- Affordable: We don’t have a million dollars for a mattress – and I don’t think it’s necessary. We had a very expensive mattress before our current one and it fell apart faster than any other mattress we have bought. But, I think we went too affordable on our new one and I liked that Helix was affordable without being cheap. They also have several lines and payment plans, so you can decide if you want the more affordable one, the luxe line, the organic line, etc.
So, as just a normal family that doesn’t tests 50 mattresses a year that are sent to us gratis, these are the reasons we chose the Helix and went for it.
We have been very happy with it so far. I actually fall asleep much quicker on the Helix than on our mattress and we will probably replace ours soon with the pillow top Helix. Hurrah.
Things To Consider About the Helix:
There are a few things to think about with the Helix. First, this is a mattress in a box and it’s heavy, so consider that if you live alone in a third floor walk-up. Make sure delivery includes bringing the mattress inside, placing in the room of your choice and unboxing. I have a brawny man around, so that made it easier for me.
The top is memory foam, not pillow top, for the model we got our daughter. I would prefer the pillow top myself, but felt this was more supportive for her. If you go for the memory foam top, it does take a few seconds to spring back after you move.
These mattresses are also quite thick. I don’t think you could add a pillow top and still fit a sheet over if you wanted it even softer, so if you like a pillow top, go for the Helix Sunset model that has that included.
While there is very minimal off gassing smell when unboxed, there is a little, so plan to unbox in a well-ventilated room and leave it to breathe for a few days before using it. The smell could give a very sensitive person headaches without good air flow. I found the off gassing substantially less than the last mattress we bought, but you never know.
That’s it! I hope this was helpful. I know I didn’t drop eggs and bowling balls on the mattress or take pictures of myself doing this:
This is just a straightforward, normal person’s review of a mattress. No gimmicks.
Are you in the market for a mattress? For the next 12 days, Helix is offering $200 off and two of their awesome pillows (that we all literally fight over and keep stealing from each other).
If you’ve grabbed a Helix, I’d love to know what you think! Here are a few more home decor posts you might like, too:
- 5 Caitlin Wilson Rug Copycats You Won’t Believe!
- 3 Incredible Caitlin Wilson Copycat Pillows
- A Restoration Hardware Cremone Hardware Cabinet Lookalike You Won’t Believe!
- 12 Feng Shui tips to increase good energy in your home
- 8 Tips to Feng Shui Your Office for More Success!
Have a fabulous day,