I know when I first head about castor oil packs – I was really skeptical. How could rubbing this oil on my stomach and then heating it actually cause real, noticeable changes in things like my digestion and my cycle?
But, I’m always up for trying new things – especially natural remedies that can’t really hurt if they don’t help – so I started using castor oil packs after a fertility acupuncturist suggested it. Not only are they super relaxing and force me to do some self-care, but they actually did start to fix some of my issues, like horrible PMS and irregular cycles. Also, the rumors are true, they’ll also help shrink that mid-section, too.
So, if you’re a woman and you’ve heard about the ways that castor oil packs can help you, this post is for you. Let’s talk about the different ways that you can use castor oil packs to improve your health.
1. Castor Oil Packs Reduce PMS:
Ahhh, we all know the beauty of that week before your period. The cramps, the bloating, the mood swings, the cravings. As I’ve gotten older, I know that my weight will go up several pounds that week, crushing my hopes and dreams of all that diet and exercise paying off. Sure, that weight drops off when the hormones level out a week or two later, but it’s always brutally disappointing in the moment.
Well, I’ve got news for you – castor oil packs are a great way to calm all of that inflammation and pain in the body. They improve blood flow, which remove any stagnation, and they can even shrink fibroids or cysts that are contributing to the issue.
They’re quick and easy to do and only take about 20-30 minutes. You can do them while watching your favorite reality tv show after the kids are asleep and they’re so relaxing, it might even put you to sleep.
Just make sure to stop doing them once your cycle starts and you can resume them once your period ends. If you’re having symptoms of estrogen dominance, I also have seen great success with this natural supplement for balancing my estrogen levels out. It has slowly decreased my PMS to almost nothing. Check it out here.
2. Castor Oil Packs Reduce Digestive Distress:
Stomachaches? Digestive issues? If you’ve tried everything to help calm the inferno of digestive distress, IBS, and other stomach related issues, it’s time to try castor oil packs. I actually wrote an entire post on ways to reduce stomach pain and castor oil packs are prominently featured in that post, too, because they really work.
Castor oil packs use the powerful anti-inflammatory and cleansing benefits of castor oil combined with the warmth of heat to give you an incredible natural remedy for stomach pain, bloating, and tons of other abdominal ailments. Try them out and see for yourself, they really work! I go into more detail on how to use wraps around your stomach and liver in this post here.
3. Castor Oil Packs Can Improve Fertility:
Struggling with miscarriages or infertility? It’s a heartbreaking journey and too many women struggle with it silently. I have had my own experiences with it and, in my experience and the women I’ve known, a lot of the issues are cycle related. We are just not taught enough about our cycles, our hormone levels, when we actually ovulate vs. what the apps say, and much more. Learning to really understand that is so important and also understanding that our bodies are complex. If something is out of whack, our body starts shutting down processes, such as fertility.
The hardest thing I hear from women going through it is that they think it’s happening because of something they’re doing or not doing, or they think it’s part of God’s plan. Let me tell you this – if your body is shutting down fertility, it is not God’s plan, it is a sign that something is off balance in your body – maybe your thyroid, or something autoimmune related, or even a rare blood disorder like I have. Address it like you would any other health related issue – not just so that you can hopefully have the family you’re dreaming of, but also because this is an opportunity to balance out something that is off in your body.
Castor oil packs may not fix everything, but they will help increase blood flow, regulate cycles, and support your body in healing itself.
4. Castor Oil Packs May Shrink Cysts:
Many women get cysts in their their thyroid, ovaries, even breast tissue. Castor oil packs can be applied anywhere on the body to help these cysts naturally shrink and dissolve over time. I’ve had ovarian cysts that twisted and flopped and that pain was some of the worst I have ever felt. I thought I was going to die; I couldn’t even walk. Later, the doctor told me the pain of what I had was worse than labor pain.
So, suffice to say, I never want to experience that again. Luckily, castor oil packs can help reduce the chances of that every happening again, too.
5. Castor Oil Packs Can Reduce Inflammation:
Inflammation can occur anywhere in your body and if something doesn’t feel right or you’re having chronic pain, then there is most likely inflammation. If you also have autoimmune related health issues, then you will likely always have inflammation somewhere.
Castor oil packs are incredible at helping detoxify the body and move toxins out. Plus, they improve lymphatic drainage and have powerful anti-inflammatory properties thanks to the castor oil. So, place that castor oil pack wherever you are feeling inflammation – on your liver, gallbladder, thyroid, stomach, shoulder, an injury – wherever.
I did have a naturopath tell me to use ice therapy on injuries instead of heat, as heat can increase inflammation, so I also do that, too, but for castor oil packs – I still prefer the heat therapy.
HOW TO DO A CASTOR OIL PACK:
Are you sold and ready to go? Let’s talk about how to do a castor oil pack. The steps are so simple. Once you get your kit together, you’ll see how easy it is and after experiencing the relaxation and inflammation reducing qualities, it’ll be something you’ll reach for again and again.
You’ll want to set up your area before you put the pack on, because once it is in place, you don’t want to move for awhile.
Here’s how to do it. Affiliate links are used for products that I actually buy, use, and recommend.
- Set up your relaxing area with a towel underneath where you will lay and change into clothes that you don’t care about. Castor oil stains, so protect any areas and clothing.
- Plug in your heat pad or microwave your pad and put them where you will lay.
- Make sure you have your TV remote or book and something to drink nearby as well.
- you can either use a small piece of flannel or cloth in a jar or glass container (some even use a large mason jar) and drizzle some of the castor oil over it until it is moist, but isn’t dripping wet. If you use a jar or glass container, you can store the flannel in the container after, too. **If you decide to reuse the material with the castor oil on it, store it in the refrigerator so it doesn’t go rancid.
- Alternative: Use a wrap for your midsection. I have this one and I share how I use it in this post here.
- If you are dripping the castor oil on your body, rub it around and then put a cloth on top. You can use an old burp cloth, receiving blanket folded, cotton hand towel, etc. This will protect the heat pad from getting stained.
- Place heat pad on top of the area with the castor oil.
- Relax for up to an hour, preferably with your legs elevated comfortably.
- Time is up! Time to gently remove the heat pad and flannel and wipe the excess castor oil off with wipes.
- Make sure to wipe off any excess castor oil before getting dressed and going to bed.
Castor oil is one of my favorite ways to help my body heal. I also love drinking my anti-inflammatory turmeric smoothie, lots of anti-inflammatory foods, and also take my anti-inflammatory supplements almost every day.
I hope some of these ideas have inspired you to try out castor oil packs. Come back to let me know what you think!
Have a fabulous day,