Listen, I’ve been there.
You’ve got a million things going on and you’re wearing all the hats for everything – and your skin is just NOT. GETTING. WITH. THE. PROGRAM.
Luckily, I’ve been trying out a zillion skin care products for years and have narrowed it down to the key ingredients your skin needs to effectively treat whatever your skin problem is – so you can get on with your life!
Let’s get on with it! Also, please know some of these are affiliate links, which means i get a small commish at no cost to you. Over time, this will hopefully help cover the cost of running this blog. Gracias.
How To Fix Your Skin Fast:
Start by picking your issue and then scroll down to find the solution!
1. Fix Dry and Flaky Skin:
Moisture is the name of the game.
Skin oils are a GREAT wait to motherload moisture.
Choose wisely, though, the wrong oil and you will rid yourself of dryness in exchange for a different problem 😉 I prefer rosehip – but argan, virgin marula and others are popular, too.
Here are some incredible skin oils to get you started:
- Kora Organics Noni Glow Rosehip Seed Oil – FAVE.
- Josie Maran Argan Oil
- Drunk Elephant Luxury Virgin Marula Oil – Did a full DE review. LOVE. Find the DE Review here
- Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil – LOVE the entire Biossance line.
Then, layer a nice thick moisturizer on top:
2. Fix Dull or Uneven Skin Tone:
When dull skin strikes, it’s time to exfoliate. For melasma, hyperpigmentation and other uneven skin tone issues – you’ll want to use an exfoliating acid that will help renew skin by increasing cell turnover.
There are many types of acids and you’ll probably need to figure out which ones get you the results you prefer through a little trial and error. I have very sensitive skin and always start with the gentlest. For me, I prefer hylauronic acid and glycolic acid.
- Honest Beauty Vitamin C Serum– Love this line of affordable, highly rated beauty products.
- Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Glycolic Night Serum – FAVE. Wrote more about it here.
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum – Another FAVE. Two pumps mixed with your day lotion = BOMB.COM SKIN.
- La Roche-Posay Hyalu B5 Hylauronic Acid Serum – One of my all-time fave lines, I use their daily sunscreen with SPF every single day.
- DRUGSTORE PICK: Neutrogena Hydroboost Hyaluronic Acid Gel Moisturizer
Exfoliators (Use 2-3x a week):
Slough off that old skin, so your skin can really glow! Exfoliators are great for this:
- Clinique Pep-Start 2-in-1-Exfoliating Cleanser– Never go without this one.
- Kate Somerville Exfolikate – Very good!
Masks (2-3x a week):
I loooove a good mask. There are quite a few I highly recommend and have written about.
- Peter Thomas Roth Mask Frenzy Set: Wrote a full post review on these here
- Dr. Jart Face Masks: You’ll look like an extra in silence of the lambs, but the results are amazing
- Farmacy Honey Potion Mask: A new favorite that I really love.
- Tula Major Glow Cooling & Brightening Hydrogel Mask: Tula uses probiotics in their skin care for the same amazing results you’ll get with consuming probiotics in pill form. Bigtime blogger Kathleen Barnes is a huge fan of Tula, too. Can’t blame her – they’re genius!
3. Fix Zits or Breakouts
Such a pain – sometimes literally. I got adult on-set acne in college. That was fun.
Except it wasn’t. I did too much to try to get it to go away and it made things worse.
I’ve since learned that a combo package of skin care and gut care is required to do this effectively and gently
. Consider a probiotic – they are tasteless and don’t have any side effects (other than good ones) and you will see a difference if you are consistent. Ideally, take your probiotic with water before you go to bed, so it has all night to do its “bit-ness”.
For your skin – you need to use a gentle gel cleanser, get rid of bacteria, and use a treatment. A spot treatment is used for blemishes. Try not to pick your face.
- Honest Co. Gel Cleanser – all time fave – read more about how much I love it here.
- La Roche-Posay Effaclear– another winner by LRP
Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner – CULT FAVORITE: CHEAP & AMAZING
- Clinique Acne + Line Correcting Serum: I wrote a whole post about how much I love this one. Read it here.
- Caudalie Vinopure Skin Perfecting Serum – another award-winning option if you hate Clinique (but why? why do you hate Clinique?)
Spot Treatment: Follow instructions carefully – these are a little weird, you will look like you have chicken pox, but they WORK.
With the 1-2 punch of gut health and good skin care, you should see your skin heal over time. Also, drink lots of water and don’t pick.
4. Fix Dark Undereye Bags
Remember that calcium is your best friend if you’re struggling with these. And sleep. But, for some of us, we can’t really control how much sleep we get (which is not much) #momlife
- Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream – I use this every morning
- Yes to Grapefruit Undereye Bag Cream – for my green beauty, fraaaands
- Kiehl’s Youth Dose Eye Treatment– tried this as a sample, loved the light tint
- 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream – I just started using this and I am ABSOLUTELY 100% OBSESSED
- Honest Beauty Instant Plump Eye Cream – This is the bestselling item I’ve ever shared on this blog. Everyone loves it as much a I do. If you like Honest Beauty products, be sure to check out their Honest Beauty Bundle as a way to really save. I get it a few times a year and love it.
I wrote an entire post that goes in-depth on dark circles and what you can do to battle them, plus a Kim Kardashian make-up hack that’ll really help. Check out the post here.
This Fix Your Skin graphic has been a popular one on Pinterest, so if this is your first visit – thanks for stopping by.
I hope you’ll stick around for awhile. Lots of great posts on beauty and skin care, too.
There’s a little something for everyone here at I Spy. Welcome to the family.
Have a fabulous day,