Getting a new dog is good for the soul. It may not be so good for the wallet, but you’re investing in a new best friend who’s always happy to see you and loves to cuddle. #worthit
We recently shared the news that we brought home this sweet little guy! We worked with a local rescue, so we’re not sure exactly what breed he is, but he sure is cute! The rescue gave him the name Oscar, which certainly fit his little grumpy looking face, but after spending some time getting to know him – we decided to go with a different name – Zorro!
Don’t be afraid to spend some time with your new puppy before deciding on a name – that way, you can be sure it’ll fit their personality and be something you’ll love for the long haul.
How To Choose a Cute Boy Dog Name:
Choosing your pup’s name is one of your first jobs as a dog owner! It’s a fun and important task and you’ll wan to get it just right! When thinking about cute dog names, here a couple of fun tips to consider:
1. Shorter is better – Some say that 3 syllables or less is idea for a dog. Of course, you’re welcome to give them a nice long, distinguished name, like Lord Cerulean Larkspur Hamlet, with the intent that you’ll usually just call him Ham, but if you really did want to rattle off that whole name every time – expect training to be extra difficult for both of you.
2. Avoid family names – It’s a cute idea to name your furbaby after your new niece, Bella, but it can cause some confusion. Dogs won’t be able to distinguish when you’re referring to them or not – and neither can small children.
3. Avoid commands – You don’t want a dog name that is similar to a command you’ll be using regularly or even a name that rhymes with a command such as Mo – which sounds like “no”.
4. Have fun – This is your chance to get really creative! You can even pick a name that is funny and makes you smile (see this list) or is inspired by their coloring (see black dog names here).
5. Take some time – Oftentimes, your puppies unique personality, quirks and looks will inspire the perfect name.
If you’re looking for some great names for your new furbestie, this list will give you a ton of cute boy dog name ideas to get you started. Make sure to download the free pet name tracker in this post to write down your favorites!
30 Most Popular Cute Boy Dog Names:
Best Cute Boy Dog Names for Small Dogs:
- Tiny Tim
Best Cute Boy Dog Names for Big Dogs:
Cute Boy Dog Names Inspired by Nature:
Cute Boy Dog Names Inspired by Food:
- White Claw
- Earl Grey
- Caesar Salad
- Pinto Bean
Cute Boy Dog Names Inspired by Pop Culture:
- Mister Miyagi
- Ricky Bobby
- Jack Sparrow
- Black Fang
Cute Boy Dog Names Inspired By Other Animals:
Need More Dog Names?
Haven’t found your favorite dog name yet? Maybe these posts will help:
- 118 Super Cute Girl Dog Names
- 231 Creative Boy Dog Names
- 101 Popular Girl Dog Names
- 102 Creative Black Dog Names
PREPARING FOR A NEW PUPPY:
If you’re bringing home a new puppy, you’ll want to have some basic supplies and plan for the transition. I wrote a fun post with easy tips for bringing them home and getting started with your new pup. Check it out here.
And, for our favorite dog products and supplies, you may like this post.
Also, if you’re looking for gift ideas for an animal lover, you won’t want to miss this post.
As always, thanks for reading. Good luck naming your new pup!
Have a fabulous day,